print statement and multithreading

Donn Cave donn at oz.net
Thu Aug 24 17:15:20 EDT 2000

Quoth "Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com>:
| Exposing *in the standard Python libraries* functionality that
| is not standard, and is going to be present on some platforms
| but not on others, is, on the other hand, an extremely peculiar
| position, I think.  Surely, that's what platform-specific modules
| are for: exposing what's there to expose on some platforms but
| not on others.  Letting, e.g., strptime be usable (from a non
| platform-specific module) on some platforms but not on others
| exposes programmers to serious portability gotchas.

As I understand it, you are at odds with the prevailing opinion
in this extremely peculiar language.

There are other little things that don't show up on one or
another platform, in modules like time or socket.

But the kicker is "os".  We're encouraged to use "os" instead of
(for me, anyway) "posix" because it provides functionality that
(for others) would be supported by other modules than posix and
therefore we get better portability by hiding this difference.
Of course it also hides the absence of certain functions.

While I have mixed feelings about it, I can't say it has been
looking like any major source of grief on comp.lang.python.
(If there's a real problem with the os module, it is that people
say "from os import *".)

	Donn Cave, donn at oz.net