[PEP draft 2] Adding new math operators

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at localhost.localdomain
Tue Aug 8 21:59:55 EDT 2000

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:26:22 +0100, Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Another thing that should be borne in mind is that we'll be moving to
>unicode so that other operator notations may in fact be more feasible in
>future eg the symbol character set may have an existence in unicode.
>That would make the symbology easier, but not how to associate such
>symbols with python code.

Three points:

- IMO, adding unicode operators to Python is quite futher away - probably at
  least two years down the road (availability, acceptance, compatibility,
  convenience, necessity, etc, etc).

- Somebody mentioned that it would not be difficult to make translations
  from ~+ to a unicode character if and when that's included.

- When that finally happens, then naming them would indeed be an issue.  But
  that's a much more extensive extension than proposed here.

BTW, I only said that ~op is a clear winner in the meta+op form.  Any better
candidates?

Huaiyu