updated version of David Ascher's compile.py?

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Fri Aug 25 04:04:41 EDT 2000

"Mark Hammond" <MarkH at ActiveState.com> wrote in message
news:SYkp5.10956$Xg.105981 at news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> wrote in message
> news:8o38k40ff5 at news1.newsguy.com...
> > I've just tried installing ActiveState's distribution of
> > Python 1.6 for Windows, and it seems to be fine (except
> > for funny things, such as 'unicode' not being found by a
> > search in the docs although unicode function _is_ correctly
> > documented among the builtins -- go figure!)
>
> That is a bug - thanks!  I just entered it.

You're welcome!  The docs have other such peculiarities.  For
example, in D:\Python16\win32\Help, the Search tab on the
"PyWin32.chm" also fails searches for, e.g., getopenfilename
(though GetOpenFileName _is_ in the Index tab); opening
'Overviews' and clicking "Getting process info (with some
COM thrown in!)" results in a "this page cannot be displayed",
while _clicking_ on 'Overviews' and then (in the right pane)
on the analogous hyperlink works fine; etc, etc.  I suspect
it's some minor stuff...

> > I _think_ it's the compile.py version I have, originally
> > downloaded from:
> > http://starship.python.net/crew/skippy/ppw32/index.html
>
> That is the first version with support for VC5 and VC6, and AFAIK the
> latest publically available one.  David Ascher recently asked me for a
> copy, so I think it still is the latest :-)

I know there are more up-to-date ones (people kindly sent me
copies!), e.g. from the Zope distribution, although I don't
yet know if they'll work better for me.

> Can you try that vanilla version again?  If it still fails, I'm afraid
> I have no advice - I dont have MSVC5 here.  But it does still work for
> me with VC6.

I don't have VC++5 either (it HAS been a while...!), and what
I'm trying to do is use VC++6.  The compile.py I have generates
VC++5 .dsp/.dsw files, and the Visual Studio crash is during
its attempt to upgrade those to VC++6 levels.

Updates when I've tried the newer compile.py's...!

Alex