why isn't python more popular?

Steven E. Harris sharris at nospam.primus.com
Mon Aug 14 14:04:39 EDT 2000

Jordan Katz <katz at underlevel.net> writes:

> I think this point is stretched a little too much.  In general, I
> agree; Python's more readable than Perl, but it *is* possible to write
> very nice, readable, and concise code in Perl.  It's upto the
> programmer more than the language.

This nice, readable code often winds up looking like Perl "baby talk."
It may do the exact same thing when executed that the terse, idiomatic
version would do, but it doesn't look natural to an advanced Perl
programmer. In that sense, Perl has an exclusionary, "elite" side to
it: the more advanced you get with it, the more interested you become
in its idiomatic ways - admittedly as a way to flaunt your fluency.

Python - in my limited usage of it so far - seems to push back against
this terseness, instead directing your attention to arguably better
aspects of your programming endeavor.

--
Steven E. Harris        :: sharris   @primus.com
Primus                  :: http://www.primus.com