PYTHONHOME problems on AIX

Art Haas arthur.haas at westgeo.com
Mon Aug 28 10:45:08 EDT 2000

Ben <bcollar at bigfoot.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've got python1.5 installed on an AIX 4.2.1 box, but I'm having some
> config problems.  I have PYTHONPATH set to /usr/local/lib/python1.5.
> When I type in python, it tells me:
>
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
>
> Now, I don't find PYTHONHOME in the two references I have; what is this
> variable?  I tried setting it to $PYTHONPATH:plat-aix4 and
> $PYTHONPATH/plat-aix4, but neither works.  What is it looking for here?

It's looking for the directory where dynamically loaded things are
kept. Whether or not you built any modules as shared modules, Python
looks for a `lib-dynload' directory.

I saw something similar to this because I built Python with the
modules statically linked, and had to make a `lib-dynload' directory
to get this message to disappear. You could try to do ...

$ mkdir /usr/local/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload

... and see if this warning will go away.

The code producing the warning is in `Modules/getpath.c'.