Python not that wierd

Alexander Williams thantos at gw.total-web.net
Thu Aug 3 05:47:52 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> writes:

> with the genre for years, after all.  D1000 (three 20-sided dice read each
> as a digit, of course, just an extension of D100) was used in some RQ

My god, it has been forever since you played; these days we have d20's
with two digit labeled sides, not just 0-10 twice.  I was sitting here
trying to imagine how one reads 202020 as < 1000.  :)

The d1000 never caught on in gaming primarily because as a measure of
granularity, it was much, much too fine.  Even d100 is largely too
fine to make a significant difference over the next d-size down (the
d20).  After all, what IS the difference between 74% and 77% Research
on your Investigator?  Far better to go ahead and collapse it to a 5%
scale and use the d20.  Most modern games go further yet and either
collapse to a 1-18 scale (3d6) or 1-12 (2d6).  Those who go for
tighter scales (1-10, in the case of Storyteller; Stats 1-5, Skill
1-5) usually shift to more complex dice pool systems (ie. in ST, each
point of ability adds 1d10).

ObPython: Uh ... I've written a really nice generic dice handling
class I'm very proud of, that count?  :)

--
Alexander Williams (thantos at gw.total-web.net)           | In the End,
  "Blue Jester needs food."                             | Oblivion