Still no new license -- but draft text available

Ketil Z Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Fri Aug 11 10:29:15 EDT 2000

"Rainer Deyke" <root at rainerdeyke.com> writes:

>> If you aren't a cooperative type, don't use 'em.

> I write shareware games.  I distribute my games for free through the
> internet, and charge for the password which unlocks the full game.  If I
> distributed the source code for my games for free under the GPL, there would
> be no incentive for anyone to register since anybody could just remove the
> password check and release the result.

No incentive, except honesty on the part of the user.  You might
dismiss this, but people are still paying $X0 for Red Hat Linux
instead of $0.xx for the same product from CheapBytes -- and RH
doesn't even mind (or perhaps I should say "moan").

> This is clearly not an option I'm willing to take.

Your choice.  But you don't think you deserve to freely (as in without
recompense) incorporate others' code in your games, do you?  Authors
who use the GPL explicitly don't wish this to happen, and I don't see
why anybody thinks this is such a big problem.

-kzm