PYTHON IS CRAP

Mike Coffin mhc at Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Aug 16 02:21:59 EDT 2000

sp00fD <sp00fD at yahoo.com> writes:

> I agree fully.  Honestly, part of the reason I've stayed away from Java
> is pure performance...
> off on a tangent:
>      Some people say that it performs well, but just doing a very
> simple (non-scientific) loop test, counting to something like 1
> million, C took about .25 seconds, python took about 1.15 seconds, and
> java took about 11 seconds, that was enough for me ;).

Hmmm.  On my machine, Python runs this:

i = 0
while i < 1000000:
    i = i + 1

in about 3.5 seconds.  Java runs this:

public class bm {
    int i = 0;
    while (i < 1000000) {
      i++;
    }
  }
}

in about 0.95 seconds. And almost all of *that* is startup overhead.

> Look at the number of books available for java though.  The majority
> are specific to one topic (i.e. EJB or Swing, etc.).  It's often said
> that the number of books available controls the usage of a language
> (which is somewhat of a chicken/egg thing).  For me that's definitely
> true, but in the negative sense.

But almost all those books are not about Java itself, but about Java
libraries or APIs.  If all the Python libraries and APIs had reference
manuals, tutorials, text books, and programming guides, that would be
a pretty big library, too.  You seem to imply that scanty
documentation is a plus for Python.  The opposite is true.  (Also, of
course, the Java libraries and APIs cover a lot more ground than
Python.)

Don't get me wrong; Python is great for lots of things.  So is Java.
Luckily, they are each great for (mostly) different things.

-mike