logic behind the assert syntax?

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Wed Aug 30 01:32:52 EDT 2000

Niels Diepeveen wrote:

> The basic problem is that ASCII just doesn't provide enough different
> brackets to use for lists, dicts and tuples and still leave parentheses
> available for their normal use, so tuples have to be identified just by
> the commas.

Actually, they don't *have* to be. Parentheses could have
been required around tuple constructors, and that would have
relieved some of the confusion, and left more options open
for future language extensions. The language wasn't designed
that way, though, and we're stuck with the consequences.
Until Python 3000, anyway.

Or-should-that-be-Pyython-3000,

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg