Still no new license -- but draft text available

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Tue Aug 15 17:50:28 EDT 2000

"Olivier Dagenais" <olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM> wrote in message
news:w2gm5.155617$Gh.2548867 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> > > How can
> > > you sell a product that is no better than your competitors'?
> > If your product is *exactly* the same as your competitors, then you
> > differentiate yourself in a different way.  Your question is
> > interesting, but has already been answered by Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.
>
> What the other "different" ways of differentiating yourself from your
> competitors?  Where can I read up on the "answer of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury"?

In textbooks about marketing, and specifically that segment of it
known as brand-building (though not only there).  But why would
you care...?

> I also have motivation for decreasing my technical support calls through
> making my software as easy and friendly as possible:  the less I am
> "bothered", the more time I can spend on the next version.  This might be
> harder for a company that has a department devoted to technical support
and
> one to development, but for a one-man-band, it works out.

If technical support is seen as a profit center, and quality enhancements
are undesired because of effects on those profits, the company is in
serious trouble anyway -- competitors with a more flexible attitude and
higher quality are going to eat its lunch pretty soon, I predict.

Alex