[Q]Compare PHP and Python CGI Program for web Programming

Ken Kinder kkinder at tridog.com
Mon Aug 28 19:06:39 EDT 2000

Well, scalability is probably Python-sided if you use FastCGI.
Otherwise, I would say PHP. One thing to keep in mind: if you're
integrating with a C system, Python is FAR easier to write interfaces
for. Python really allows you to build true systems and processes. php
is an imbedded language that is fairly limited, while Python is a
general purpose programming language. For something as complex as a
web-based mail system I would say Python because it allows you to do so
much more than php. But, if you aren't going to be doing more than what
php would do anyhow, they're no reason to move to Python unless you just
like it more. :)

Also, in my experience, the language isn't the bottleneck: the database
is.