Licensing Status of Python 1.5

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sat Aug 19 08:40:01 EDT 2000

Neil Hodgson wrote:

> > That it doesn't identify itself as "a license" via Jurisprudently Approved
> > mumbo jumbo, coupled with its utter lack of restrictions on users,
> > apparently makes it fall into a class of thingie some lawyers believe can
> be
> > unilaterally withdrawn at will by the licensor.  OTOH, it's not hard to
> find
> > blather that doesn't play along with that, even when it's 100% clear that
> > the license was intended to be revocable (e.g., "A bare license ... being
> > without consideration, may be revoked at pleasure, as long as it remains
> > executory; 39 Hen. VI. M. 12, page 7;
>
>    Well, if you're going to start quoting the bard,
>
> Then 't is like the breath of an unfee'd lawyer; you gave me nothing for
> 't. -Can you make no use of nothing, nuncle?
>
>    Lear. 1. IV.

Here's one from another well-known work:

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in
barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more
valuable than they?"

One can't help notice that, like birds, lawyers neither sow nor reap,
yet they seem well taken care of.

(but-that-part-about-"more-valuable"-is-where-the-analogy-breaks
   -down-<wink>)-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com