GTK/Gnome or TKinker?

apardon at trout.vub.ac.be apardon at trout.vub.ac.be
Fri Aug 4 04:52:08 EDT 2000

Paul Magwene <paul.magwene at yale.edu> wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
>>
>>     I've decided to embark on a project that I want to be fairly portable
>> across Unix and Windows.  It will use a GUI and I am having trouble deciding
>> on which toolkit to use.  I've looked into GTK/GNome and the fact that there
>> doesn't appear to be a fairly active port to Windows does exactly fill me with
>> confidence in its continued support
>>
>>     OTOH is TKinker.  Now, from what I hear TKinker isn't as well developed as
>> GTK/Gnome so while it appears to have a stable port to Windows taking up
>> TKinker might mean overall difficulties.
>>
>>     Does anyone who has practical experience with these toolkits have any
>> advice?
>>
>> --
>>          Steve C. Lamb         | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
>>          ICQ: 5107343          | main connection to the switchboard of souls.
>> -------------------------------+---------------------------------------------

> The two most portable options at the moment are Tkinter and wxPython
> (other potentially portable options such as GTK for windows, QT and FLTK
> suffer from licensing restrictions or slow development).  Both Tkinter
> and wxPython are well developed toolkits.  Robin Dunn and the wxWindows
> team both seem to be going gangbusters on the development of
> wxWindows/wxPython but Tk is well tested and solid.

> wxWindows does include some extra widgets that seem useful (e.g. grid
> and calendar widgets) but than again it's a pretty big download to
> include in a distribution or expect users to acquire on their own.
> Tkinter is pretty much standard on any machine which has Python
> installed.

> Tkinter also benefits from having an excellent printed reference --
> Grayson's Python and Tkinter Programming.  If you're going to do any
> serious GUI development on Python this is a must have.  One of the
> things that this book really made me aware of was how fancy and
> sophisticated Tkinter GUI's could get.

> Anyhow, try 'em both, they're both good.  I don't have a strong
> preference for one over the other, but maybe you will.

I have a question about wxPyton.

It  seems interesting enough to give it a try, but is seems to be
an offshoot of wxWindows.

Now there is one thing I don't like about Windows and that is how
it  forces all kind of things on you. e.g. it isn't possible that
the window with the focus is not on top.

Now my question is, should I use wxPython on a unix machine  will
it put me under the same kind of limitations as if I am on a win-
dow machine or not?

--
Antoon Pardon