Still no new license -- but draft text available

Pat McCann thisis at bboogguusss.org
Sun Aug 20 17:16:38 EDT 2000

jwe at bahaha.che.wisc.edu (John W. Eaton) writes:

> Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> writes:
> > In GNUspeak, the "free" part means both "free in a cost sense" and "free
> > in a freedom sense".
[John quotes from GPL preamble.]
> Note the first sentence.  ``... we are referring to FREEDOM, not PRICE.''

As usual, there is a disconnect between the sale's pitch and the
fine print.  In the "TERMS AND CONDITIONS" you find:

"...THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE..."

Why they (as in "we" above) wouldn't want "free software" to also refer
to its universally praised zero price is not a question I can answer
(I suppose it relates to someone's obsession with commercial licensing),
but, in fact, "free software" DOES refer also to price in GNUspeak.  It
is almost certainly a better sales hook than the silly freedom thing.
Once people get in the door, they then start to buy the sillyness.

Some of us have learned to shop elsewhere.

Remember the words of the Sales Manager:
So the real question is, what result do you want?