[FAQTS] Python Knowledge Base Update -- August 15th, 2000

Fiona Czuczman fiona at sitegnome.com
Tue Aug 15 07:52:18 EDT 2000

Hi All,

The latest entries into http://python.faqts.com

regards,

Fiona Czuczman

## New Entries #################################################

How can I replace the contents of a listbox with a new list of items?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/5362
Fiona Czuczman
Matthew Dixon Cowles

All you have to do is delete the old items and add some new ones:

self.lb.delete(0, END) # clear
for item in myList:
  self.lb.insert(END, item)

I swiped that code pretty well directly from Fredrik Lundh's excellent
introduction to Tkinter, which is at:

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

If you haven't had a look at it, you may want to.

You might also want to have a look at Greg MacFarlaine's cool Pmw
(Python megawidgets):

http://www.dscpl.com.au/pmw/

His ScrolledListBox widget will save you a step here since it has a
setlist() method.

What is the name of the file that contains the color definitions for Tkinter (like 'rosy brown', etc.)?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/5363
Fiona Czuczman
Richard Chamberlain, John Grayson

I don't think you'll find them anyway in the code, I believe they are an
internal tcl/tk thing, ( although I think the colour names are X
related). In your tools folder you'll find a little application called
pynche which allows you to select colours and it returns the nearest Tk
colour by name. There is a file in there called namedcolors.txt which
lists the colours.

------------------

You'll find the colors defined in tk8.0.n/xlib/X11/xcolors.c.

You can also find a little Python program in the examples for my book
which displays all the colors. You can find it in the utils subdirectory
as colors.py You don't have to buy the book to get the examples...

   www.manning.com/Grayson

Can python be embedded in a fortran program?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/5364
Fiona Czuczman
Robert Kern, G. David Kuhlman

Problem:

There is some documentation (and also a lot of threads on this
newsgroup) on embedding python in a c program. I would like to embed it
in a fortran program so that the gui, input, error checking is done by
python and core computations are done in fortran. does anybody have any
idea on doing this? where can i find pointers for the same? I have
access to Compaq visual fortran 6.1.

Solutions:

In this case, you might want to extend the interpreter with extension
modules written in C that call the FORTRAN routines, rather than embed
the interpreter into your program.  It depends on how well you can
separate the computation routines from the rest of the program that
has already been written.

To assist you, there are the following tools:

Numerical Python:
http://numpy.sourceforge.net

Pyfort:
http://pyfortran.sourceforge.net

f2py:
http://koer.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/

The last two depend on Numerical Python.

On any platform in which C code can be linked in with and called
from FORTRAN, this problem is equivalent to embedding Python in a C
application. Embed Python into a C module, produce a shared
library, and call into that (C) module from FORTRAN.