CGI to make PNG image

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Thu Aug 17 13:44:17 EDT 2000

"Andre van Straaten" <andre at UltraShell.Net> wrote in message
news:%1Um5.93051$iI5.1451899 at news-west.usenetserver.com...
> MSIE can't read png images at all, NN can from version 4.7 (or 4.6 ?).

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, the current release, can read (and
render) PNG images perfectly well.  I don't know for sure when
this feature was introduced, but the docs for IE 4.0 already said
it supported PNG, and I don't recall any problems with that.

> Try
> www.vanstraatensoft.com/fetchmail.png
> and
> www.vanstraatensoft.com/fetchmail.gif
>
> I changed that image some month ago.
> png is much propagated, but not much supported.

It's apparently FAR better supported than you seem to think,
given you assert "MSIE can't read png" while it has been able
to do so for years.

Alex