Still no new license -- but draft text available

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 04:21:14 EDT 2000

Tim Peters has been making excellent progress on a *sensible* new license
for Python - but I have one grumble: two much punctuation. I don't know
about in the States, but over here no lawyer worth his/her salt will use
*that* many commas. This would turn his latest clause into the much more
"precise" (I'm told lawyers don't like commas because they're 'confusing'):

 4.17 Licensee agrees that Licensee's failure to channel the
      true intent of any BDFL pronouncement including but
      not limited to the clauses in this License Agreement
      and for any reason whatsoever including by way of
      example but not limited to ungrammatical construction
      use of non-existent words seeming self-contradiction
      or neglect on the part of the BDFL or his appointed
      representatives to publicize said pronouncement and
      whether deliberate or accidental shall not in any way
      relieve Licensee of Licensee's obligation to comply fully
      and cheerfully with aforementioned intent which intent
      the BDFL may from time to time choose to reveal clarify,
      modify amend obscure or withdraw at His sole discretion
      and pleasure with or without notice to Licensee.  Licensee
      further agrees that "foo" is an ugly word that should not
      be used in Python code examples.

Of course, you can die from suffocation if you try to read it out loud...

(and shouldn't it all be in upper case? Then you get to have a hoarse voice
from shouting, as well - that's it, hire the Gumbies as our legal
representatives!)

Tibs

--
Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/
Give a pedant an inch and they'll take 25.4mm