ftplib problems with firewall

lance <lance_99_99@ no_spam>yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 04:30:55 EDT 2000

David Bolen wrote:

> Of course, in general, passive connections still potentially cause
> problems for filters since it means you have to permit arbitrary
> connections from an internal host on any port to an arbitrary external
> host on any port (e.g., anything originating from the inside), which
> might not work for centralized firewalls, but for a personal setup
> like yours where you already permit any outbound traffic, it should be
> fine.

I might run into troubles there later on, but I'll tackle that problem when
it arises.

> It looks like ftplib supports a "set_pasv" method - so how about
> giving a shot at "set_pasv(1)" just after connecting and see what
> happens.

Well, that did it. Just a set_pasv after connecting, and everything is fine.
Now I can restore my firewall to it's previous state, not having my ruleset
mangled by a rather ugly rule.

Thank you very much for your help, you've been very helpful indeed.

--lance