[Python-Dev] Re: [PEP 224] Attribute Docstrings

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Tue Aug 29 05:41:15 EDT 2000

Christian Tanzer wrote:

> > > Surprise. I tried it this morning. Didn't use a backslash, though. And almost
> > > overlooked it now.
> >
> > You could also wrap the doc string in parenthesis or use a triple
> > quote string.
>
> Wrapping a docstring in parentheses doesn't work in 1.5.2:
>
> Python 1.5.2 (#5, Jan  4 2000, 11:37:02)  [GCC 2.7.2.1] on linux2
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> ...   ("first line"
> ...    "second line")

Hmm, looks like you're right... the parenthesis probably only
work for "if" and function calls. This works:

function("firstline"
	 "secondline")

> Triple quoted strings work -- that's what I'm constantly using. The
> downside is, that the docstrings either contain spurious white space
> or it messes up the layout of the code (if you start subsequent lines
> in the first column).

Just a question of how smart you doc string extraction
tools are. Have a look at hack.py:

	http://starship.python.net/~lemburg/hack.py

and its docs() API:

>>> class C: