help explaining rationale for indentation

Daniel Berlin dan at cgsoftware.com
Wed Aug 23 01:50:07 EDT 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Rainer Deyke wrote:

> > writing the same thing."
>
> One potential advantage of braces (or analogous syntactical elements) is
> that they allow a higher degree of structural flexibility.  For example, it
> might be possible to embed statements in expressions (not just the other way
> around) in a language that uses them.

Maybe.
Then again, maybe this would cause weird grammars where you could use it
in some places and not others.
Then, somebody would come up with the great solution of using:

do
{
<....>
} while(0)

to get around this, since do is only one statement (or is that one
expression, damn it's late).

Wait, this already happened.
Welcome to C.

Ask me about a great idea i had where you need a lexer feedback hack to
determine if something is an identifier or not.

--Dan