Why make a language case sensitive?

John Daschbach d3h486 at wd29688.emsl.pnl.gov
Tue Aug 1 15:37:00 EDT 2000

>>>>> "oS" == olivierS dagenaisP at canadaA comM bbs at openbazaar net (Olivier Dagenais) <olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM.bbs@openbazaar.net> writes:

    oS> As a VB freak (or ex-thereof), I need to point out that the VB
    oS> IDE will attempt to make all variables and keywords use the
    oS> same case.

    oS> So, I can't say that I agree with you when you say that
    oS> forcing the user to type the name correctly will improve
    oS> readability,

One might expect logic like this from a VB programer.  Typing the name
correctly means that you know what your doing.  Not requiring the user
to type correctly means you could type 'abcde' when you meant  'zyxw'.

    oS> Let the user have only to remember the sequence of characters
    oS> and let the computer find out (in a previous declaration or
    oS> usage) how they should be capitalized.

But the capitalization means nothing to the computer if they don't map
to different meanings to the user, so what's your point?
Capitalization is used to convey meaning.

    oS> I love Python.  I hope case sensitivity doesn't stay around
    oS> for too long.

Case sensitivity is a tool which is used effectively in much of human
communiction.  Try taking case sensitivity out of mathematics,
physics, or chemistry for instance.  Even in writing this message it
is used bUt yOu DoNT tHInK iT MAtTErS!

    oS> People just don't think like computers: 'a' and
    oS> 'A' are the same letter, and you bring up a good example in
    oS> your last paragaph...

-john