scripting language newbie - compatibility

Paul Duffin pduffin at hursley.ibm.com
Sun Aug 6 18:17:22 EDT 2000

gbp wrote:

> Java is the best bet for cross platform, but isn't a scripting langauge!

In theory but not in practice. JVMs, even ones on the same machine are not
completely compatible for many reasons.

> Server side web programming is very crossplatform in a way.  The client
> is the web browser.
>
> I've used Perl and Python.  Go ahead and try Python first.  I think its
> a little better as far as the cross platform ability.  Perl was a child
> of Unix.

Where was Python originally developed ? UNIX ? Windows ? Mac ?

I personally think that Tcl is the most cross platform language of the
three that the original poster mentioned. I have not used the others but
have spent some time looking at how each language implements the features
that I want and find that for my use Tcl is a better cross platform
solution.