Creating Python "executables" on Windows?

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Aug 18 13:11:41 EDT 2000

[posted and mailed]

Robin Becker wrote:

>In article <w1z9qAAlgRn5EwwW at jessikat.demon.co.uk>, Robin Becker
><robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>>I've been experimenting with Gordon's installer and find that under
>>win98 at least it's doing absolutely the wrong thing wrt filename case.

>it's seriously broken, even after I changed the names of my modules
>I'm still getting
>

>   return imp.find_module(name, path)
>NameError: Case mismatch for module name Pickle
>(filename C:\Python\Lib\pickle.py)

That's pickle's name. It's cPickle that has mixed case.

>This is certainly not one of mine.
>

>>I see in builder.log lines like
>> ('rlpingo.pingoGD', 'c:\\python\\rlpingo\\pingogd.py', 'm'),

The thing on the left is the Python internal name. The thing on the right
is the filesystem name. No problem here.

Now look in the .pyz with ArchiveViewer.py. With installer 3f, I see things
like (using a mixed case package.module):

 'DateTime.ARPA': (0, 27001, 3211),

which will work just fine.

I don't recall when I fixed the bug (that would have produced
"datetime.arpa"), but it's not in 3f.

- Gordon