print statement and multithreading

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Thu Aug 31 00:37:30 EDT 2000

[Tim]

>> As to all the rest of this, I've really lost track of what
>> you're trying to accomplish.  If you're concerned about writing
>> portable C, start by *FOLLOWING THE LINK* above (was that subtle
>> enough?).  Also read the C FAQ.  This is a Python newsgroup.

[Paul Duffin]

You're welcome.  Here's a spare in case that one wears out <wink>:

    http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/

> Is that the rereference that you used when modifying Python to
> make it ANSI C ?

No.  I used every reference I had, when needed, but that wasn't often --
I've been writing C for about 13 years, wrote compilers for a living for
about 15 years, and most of this stuff is just "in my bones" now.  You
*seem* to believe that it was some sort of intellectual challenge to ANSIfy
Python's source code.  It wasn't!  Small changes were made over the course
of a decade by many dozens of people in Python's source, and what remained
to do mostly consisted of making sure function prototypes were in scope at
all call sites.  This was done over an intense week (by several people), but
was overwhelmingly just mindlessly tedious editing.  ANSI C is still C; for
the most part, ANSI just made the rules much clearer.

> If so then it would probably be a good idea to make it explicit,
> e.g. add a line like this to a help file, README, HOWTO, ...
> including any extra suggestions over and above what is contained there.

It's not the job of the Python source code to teach people C -- although
many say they've learned a lot about how to write maintainable and portable
C by studying it.  Python's "C API" and "Extending and Embedding" manuals
contain all the hints anyone ever contributed.

>     "This source code is written in Standard C as defined by
>      http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/. Any deviations from this definition
>      should be considered as bugs and reported to ...."

As I'm sure others have gently <ahem> suggested by now, that link isn't
nearly detailed enough to serve as a definition of ANSI C.  For that, you
need the std.

> I was just concerned that I (and others) know what you mean when you
> say that Python is written in "Standard C", or "ANSI C" and have a
> freely available reference. The above certainly looks as though it
> could fill that gap.

What gap?  Believe it or not, you're the only person who has ever asked!

so-what's-tcl-written-in?-ly y'rs  - tim