Questions for Guido van Rossum

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sun Aug 6 15:30:37 EDT 2000

> In context, this was in reference to a new release, not to retroactively
> replacing the license on an old release.  You later agreed that the
> copyright holder can use any license they like on a new release, which is
> what my quote above also said (in context).

Right. Well then it sounds like we're on the same sheet of
music, then. I guess my point is that if someone takes the
1.5.X source, by the rather liberal terms of the license,
they can take Python and produce derivative works entirely
outside of the control of C.N.R.I. They can arbitirarily
create their own releases, their own licenses, et cetera.

> Different issue.  In context again, if CNRI does not believe the old (CWI)
> license was valid, ...

They don't believe their own license was valid? Say what?
Tell me it ain't so.

I wonder how DARPA will feel about such shenanigans?

C//