ANN: PyStream - a C++ stream emulation

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Tue Aug 22 17:23:58 EDT 2000

Neil Hodgson wrote:

> Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote
>
> > I think , people will talk about Python 1.5 like people speak
> > about Latin, a language which reached its height and then
> > was getting complicated and degenerated.
> >
> > Long live to classic Python, the times of the 1.5 !!
>
>    It is almost worth starting a Python 1.5.2 conservation society and web
> site to preserve Python at the height of its beauty when it had a good
> license and hadn't been line noised with augmented assignments and IO
> redirection operators. Pity 1.5.2 doesn't include Unicode support.

As a confessed Perl refugee, I have to admit that a corner of my heart
grieves for any loss of Python's glorious spareness of constructs,
but...

Given that 1.6 and 2.0 are virtually 100.0% backward compatible, how do
these new constructs actually hurt anybody?  If anything, aren't the
programs that _use_ the new constructs--not the new interpreter that
provides them--the problem?  (But I'll bet you a dollar you won't write
"x = x + 1" very often once you've got "x += 1". ;-)

i've-never-found-myself-inclined-to-write-C-when-i-was-using-a-C++
   -compiler-<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com