Python 1.6b1 (PYTHONHOME

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun Aug 6 08:19:56 EDT 2000

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 04:14:33AM -0700, Armin Steinhoff wrote:

> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>   <---------------
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]    <---------------

> Does anyone know what pathes <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>] refer to.
> I have tried different possible pathes ... but w/o succes.

'prefix' and 'exec_prefix' refer to the directories Python is installed. By
default, 'prefix' and 'exec_prefix' are the same: /usr/local. If you
configured Python without specifying a prefix (ie, no '--prefix=' argument
to ./configure) that's where Python will try to look for loadable modules
and the like. If you installed it elsewhere, either run ./configure with the
right --prefix argument, or set PYTHONPATH to point to the directory Python
should be using. (For instance, if you installed it in /home/me/python1.6,
you should set PYTHONPATH to /home/me/python1.6.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>