Python Problem - Important!

Jon LaCour jal at faxnet.com
Tue Aug 29 11:41:00 EDT 2000

I am beginning development of a very large web application, and I would
like to use Python (no, Zope is not an option).  PyApache seems to be my
best bet, but there is a MASSIVE problem with Python/PyApache that
prevents it from being even marginally useful to me, and to most major
software companies.

My product requires database access, and the database module that I use
for connecting depends on a library called mxDateTime.  This is a very
robust library that is in use all over our system (it has never given us
problems).  Yet, when I use PyApache to connect to a database, I have
major issues.

I have seen this same problem posted to this newsgroup and to the
PyApache mailing list several times from over a year ago, and it appears
to be unresolved.  The essential problem is this: the second time a
module is loaded, Python has cleaned up its dictionaries in its cleanup
mechanism, and does not allow a re-init.  With mxDateTime this gives an
error:

    "TypeError:  call of non-function (type None)"

Essentially, this is a major problem in either the Python internals, or
in PyApache.  After tracing the previous discussions on this issue, it
appears that this is a Python problem.  I am very serious when I say
that this problem *must* be resolved before Python can be taken
seriously for use in web applications, especially when Zope is not an
option.  I require the use of Apache's security features, and several
other Apache extensions.  If anyone knows how to resolve this issue, or
can even point out a way that I can resolve this *myself* I would love
to hear it.

This is the single stumbling block standing in the way of my company
converting almost entirely to Python development, and I am hoping that
python developers will take this bug and smash it quickly.

Thanks in advance, please cc: all responses to my email address at
jal at faxnet.com.

Jonathan LaCour
Developer, VertiSoft