again re 1.6b1 on Windows

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Mon Aug 7 04:16:24 EDT 2000

"Tom" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote in message
news:OSoj5.266575$7o1.7179110 at news2.rdc1.on.home.com...
    [snip]
> > I understand _tkinter is optional, but I'm surprised IDLE can work
> > without it...?  Still haven't gotten around to building it, yet.  I
> > do have Tcl/Tk (from the Python 1.5.2 release).
>
> Yes, good question.  I didn't compile _tkinter and yet IDLE worked - I
> wonder what _tkinter is for?

Can anybody help on this one...?!

> > On your page you suggest wxPython as a cross-platform GUI, but I
> > think the current release is hardcoded to using Python's 1.5 dll...?
> > It doesn't seem to be working for me, anyway.  So I've downloaded
> > the 9+ megs of wxWindows and have built those (still need to test a
> > bit) and thought I'd rebuild wxPython next.  Does wxPython 2.2.0
> > work for you with Python 1.6b1...?
>
> No.  I just tried it now and it doesn't work.  I get the following error:
> "Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread".

On the plus side, wxWindows 2.2.0 built without a hitch and almost
all C++ samples seem to be running just fine (I'm not going to bother
about those which lack cursor-resources &c) so I guess I can move
to wxPython and try building that one for 1.6b1...

> > The build-from-source rather than just-install may be needed
> > for all sorts of optional-but-who-can-live-without-them things
> > such as kwP and NumPy, anyway -- unless each and every author
> > of such wonderful things releases a version built for 1.6p1,
> > I guess.  Maybe once a proper installer is released I will
> > put up downloadable .pyd's, if I can figure out the various
> > licenses:-), just so non-VC++-owners can still have the great
> > benefits from these indispensible add-ons.
>
> I figure it doesn't matter too much for a beta release.  And it sounds
like
> the final release will be available in not too long.

True.  It seems such a solid 'beta', that most software could do
with that level of quality in final releases!-)  But being without a
GUI feels funny...:-).  kwP, NumPy, etc, I guess could be more
sensibly postponed.

Alex