Client side JPython app to handle uploads

Alexander Limi alexander at mp3.no
Wed Aug 2 16:25:52 EDT 2000

Hi,

This is my first post to this group, so I hope you will excuse me if I
am out of line in asking this question here.

The setting is this:

My web site collects big files (typically 2-5 MB) that the users
upload via HTTP POST (yeah, I know - FTP is nicer, but not when you
have untrusted users). When a person submits his file, he has to wait
20-30 minutes for the upload to complete, without any visual feedback
at all.

This is clearly not desirable. What I imagine would be nice, is a
small applet to handle the file and provide the user with a visual
feedback on the progress of the upload. Just a simple progress bar.

What I want to know is: Has this already been written by someone?
Either in Java or JPython? If so, could you please provide me with a
URL?

If not, is this a big task? I am a Python newbie, and I haven't
touched JPython at all.

All help appreciated.

Alexander Limi.

(Please CC me if you answer, I don't know if I will have news access
the coming week.)