Still no new license -- but draft text available

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 2 17:36:24 EDT 2000

[Guido, posting the draft CNRI Open Source license for Python 1.6b1]

> >BY CLICKING ON "ACCEPT" WHERE INDICATED BELOW, OR BY COPYING,
> >INSTALLING OR OTHERWISE USING PYTHON 1.6, beta 1 SOFTWARE, YOU ARE
> >DEEMED TO HAVE AGREED TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE
> >AGREEMENT.

[William Tanksley]
> Why should it be click-through?  Why not just say, "you may not
> use (or copy, etc.) this software outside of the terms of this
> license."  You know, the same way the GPL applies itself.

Please note that this is CNRI's license, and Guido can no longer speak for
the intent or reasoning behind it.  It's clear that people are confused
about what much of the text means, but I'm not sure we can try to clarify
any of it without putting words into CNRI's mouth -- the exact wording has
already been argued over for weeks, and the text you see (here & elsewhere)
is the exact text CNRI wants.  If you send your license questions to CNRI,
perhaps they'll be kind enough to organize them by paragraph and put
together a FAQ?  Don't know, but I hope so.

Speaking only for me, I don't think anyone will get anywhere with random
quibbles (sorry, Billy, but the above just doesn't strike me as a
*substantive* concern).  What I'd personally like to know is whether anyone
in the community finds something in the license that's a genuine showstopper
for them.