undefined symbol: PyThread_acquire_lock

Thomas Gagne tgagne at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 7 21:22:27 EDT 2000

This is driving me NUTS.  I'm pretty sure I've recompiled everything I could,
tried configuring Pything with and without "--with-threads", used both
Tools/idle (0.4) and the latest version, 0.5, without success.  Does anyone
know why I would be getting this error???

tgagne:/home/tgagne/tmp/Python-1.5.2/Tools/idle ./idle.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./idle.py", line 2, in ?
    import PyShell
  File "./PyShell.py", line 12, in ?
    from Tkinter import *
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 8, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so: undefined symbol:
PyThread_acquire_lock