Still no new license -- but draft text available

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Fri Aug 4 14:32:01 EDT 2000

In article <cpu2d027t0.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>I may have been using my own time, except CNRI's employment
>agreement made *everything* I did (not just what I did in the
>40 hours worked on CNRI projects) subject to CNRI's ownership.

Employers can not claim ownership of things that employees do
on their own time with their own resources.  Even if you signed
something like that, it would likely be unenforcible. If you
built a tool shed in your back yard over the weekend, would
CNRI own it?  Doubt it.  If you wrote a program in your
basement over the weekend, does CNRI own it?  Doubt it.

If you built something (hardware or software) over the weekend
that used CNRI resources or _propietary_ information, then they
might have a claim.

>CNRI had a good explanation for it at the time so I signed.
>(Something to do with a precedent where BBN researchers working
>on government funds worked 80 hour weeks, half of which was for
>their own profit, ended up in jail.)

That doesn't make any sense to me, but I only spent a couple
years working under Government contracts.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Thank god!!... It's
                                  at               HENNY YOUNGMAN!!