1.6b1 joys & sorrows (was Re: Python 1.6b1 is released!)

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Sun Aug 6 17:50:46 EDT 2000

"Peter Schneider-Kamp" <nowonder at nowonder.de> wrote in message
news:398DEDA5.7AD5CA11 at nowonder.de...
    [snip]
> > simple to use), but it does suggest that regression tests are
> > not systematically run under Windows.  I still haven't looked
>
> Suggestions may be wrong. This one is.

Good, because I was starting to have this doubt reinforced...

> P.S.: I wonder if there are more cases like that?!

Not quite like that, on Windows, but test_winreg.py tries to
import winreg -- a module that doesn't exist.  Just changing
that to import _winreg (the name which actually does exist)
fixes things, and again I've posted that to sourceforge, but
that too looked as if regression tests just hadn't been run
on Windows on the 1.6b1 release, just like the test_math.py
case.  Good to know that this definite impression was wrong,
but I do still wonder how those tests did manage to run as
released.  Oh well.

Now if I can only find somewhere the info on how to install
this 1.6b1 without hand-editing the registry...:-).

Alex