Is 1.6 ready for prime time?

Guido van Rossum guido at beopen.com
Wed Aug 2 00:11:21 EDT 2000

Thomas Gagne <tgagne at ix.netcom.com> writes:

> For someone like me, experiementing with the language, is 1.6's beta release
> worth investigating?  I'm ready to pull my hair out over my current
> PyThread_acquire_lock problem (it's not found anywhere in 1.5.2, but _tkinter
> wants it...).

This is probably because you have (or someone else has) compiled
_tkinter.c with the threading option but the main Python code
without.  _tkinter certainly works just fine in 1.5.2 when everything
is built together!

If you want to play with 1.6, go to the Python project at SourceForge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/python/).  The head revision code
there is actually bound Python 2.0; we're reconstructing 1.6 as a
branch.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)