CGI to make PNG image

Andre van Straaten andre at UltraShell.Net
Thu Aug 17 15:10:09 EDT 2000

Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
> "Andre van Straaten" <andre at UltraShell.Net> wrote in message
> news:%1Um5.93051$iI5.1451899 at news-west.usenetserver.com...
>> MSIE can't read png images at all, NN can from version 4.7 (or 4.6 ?).

> Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, the current release, can read (and
> render) PNG images perfectly well.  I don't know for sure when
> this feature was introduced, but the docs for IE 4.0 already said
> it supported PNG, and I don't recall any problems with that.

I changed this image from png to gif because it was the only image what MSIE5.0 didn't show on my
homepage when I tested the favicon feature which is not available on Netscape.
I couldn't see the original png image on the fetchmail Web site as well.
If this was caused by a config problem in Win95 or by the firewall of our company, or something
else, I don't know.
(It was always visible with Netscape 4.7 on FreeBSD at home, and with the Netscape 4.?? on Win95
in our company.)

I don't remember the original Web site or the info from elsewhere about the support of png images,
but I found now this site:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapbr.html

-- avs

--