Stupid question: Licensing

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 2 17:10:34 EDT 2000

[Steve Lamb]
> In coding a project may I release my code under the GPL?  Are
> there any quirks in the Python license that prevent code for
> Python being GPL'd?

Richard Stallman has said that the 1.5.2 Python license is compatible with
the GPL.  See

    http://www.python.org/doc/Copyright.html

At last report, wrt the license CNRI proposes to put on Python 1.6 (which
has not yet been released), CNRI and RMS disagree about whether a new clause
mentioning the State of Virginia renders it incompatible with the GPL.  This
is a topic of current discussion on c.l.py, so poke your head out of your
own threads for a minute and it will bite you in the butt <wink>.