print statement and multithreading

Paul Duffin pduffin at hursley.ibm.com
Fri Aug 25 11:32:36 EDT 2000

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Paul Duffin]
> > When you say that Python will support "The C Standard" you
> > need to have an exact definition (URL) of the standard,
>
> It's very rare that ANSI or ISO will make a current std available for free
> over the web, or allow anyone else to do so; they hold copyrights on their
> stds, they enforce them, and they rely on income from selling hardcopy.

Sounds very daft to me.

> > "ANSI C" is not sufficient because otherwise everybody will
> > have a different idea of what constitutes "ANSI C".
>
> "ANSI C" is universally taken to mean the version of the language as defined
> by the American National Standards Institute, working committee X3J11, in
> 1989, and as amended by a Technical Corrigendum sometime in the mid-90's.
> Before late 1999, there was no ambiguity here as that was the *only* C
> standard.

While that may be true for people who are used to working with
standards in there raw form I dount that the majority of people
developing open source software would immediately think of the
above when you said "ANSI C".

They are more likely to think of the 2nd Edition of K&R.

> Then a new version of C (informally known as C9X while it was in progress,
> and C99 now) was jointly adopted by ANSI and ISO.  Despite that there are no
> implementations of C99 yet, since C99 *is* "the current" ISO/ANSI C std,
> that's the version ANSI sells today.  If you want to get "the old" ANSI C
> std, you can still buy it from Global Engineering in hardcopy, for
> US$148(!).  It was never made available in electronic form.  Go to:
>
>     http://www.global.ihs.com/
>
> and search for ANSI X3.159.  An excellent free overview can be found at:
>
>      http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/
>
> The cheapest way to get the *current* std I know of is to buy it in PDF form
> direct from ANSI, for US$18; go to
>
>     http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/dept.asp
>
> and look near the bottom for ANSI/ISO/IEC 9899-1999, "Programming
> Languages - C".

As the person responsible for this piece of work maybe you could answer
the following questions ?

What proportion of the existing compilers are actually ANSI compliant ?

What do you take "compliant" to mean in the above context ?

What will happen if a compiler which says that it is ANSI compliant
is not, either because of a bug, or a feature, will you work around
the limitation (or accept patches which work around the limitation),
or will you just accept that it cannot be built with that version ?

Are there any parts of the Python code which are affected by the
"behaviour is implementation defined" areas of the standard ?

If there are are they going to be removed ?