Python-like compiled language

A.M. Kuchling amk at mira.erols.com
Wed Dec 13 20:03:14 EST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:24:43 +0100, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
>What about Modula-3, by the way?  I gather that one has
>similarities, too (having provided some of our BDFL's
>inspiration), but don't know much about its compilers'
>effectiveness.

The Modula-3 compiler is quite elderly, being based on GCC 2.4.5 or
something like that.  There's an updated version, m3cgc1, that patches
against more recent versions, but it doesn't seem to be very
well-known.

M3 appears to be withering away.  Richard Watts, who maintained a
now-dead branch of the Modula-3 compiler, wants to design Modula-4:
www.modula-4.org, and current discussions in comp.lang.modula3.

--amk