Some Python 2.1 ideas

Bjorn Pettersen pbjorn at uswest.net
Sat Dec 23 12:32:25 EST 2000

Bob Alexander wrote:

> Here are some thoughts on possible enhancements to Python. If discussion
> shows any positive enthusiasm maybe they could turn into PEPs.
>
> [assignment expression]

This has been discussed to death (at least once a year for the three years I've
been here ;-) I happen to think it's a good idea, but I have no illusions of it
ever being implemented <wink>

PEP 204 (http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0204.html) Allready rejected.

> [string.chomp]

A platform independent way of doing this (that handles the case where the file
doesn't originate on the native platform) would indeed be nice, although I don't
think it's a big enough feature to require a PEP (i.e. if you create a patch it
might be accepted ;-)

-- bjorn