Python Origins

Oldayz sill at localhost.kitenet.net
Thu Dec 7 19:19:32 EST 2000

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:34:08 -0800, Curtis Jensen <cjensen at bioeng.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>"A.M. Kuchling" wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 17:06:55 -0800, Nathan Gray <nospam at caltech.edu> wrote:
>> >It's really upsetting how often I've seen this sort of response to a polite
>> >question on this newsgroup lately.  Tell me, what's so terrible with asking a
>> >group of experts for pointers when researching a subject?  It's a perfectly
>> >legitimate and highly effective way to learn about something.  There's plenty
>>
>> I've noticed this trend, too, though T.C. May, the person you're
>> replying to, has always had a low tolerance for cluelessness, as I
>> noted when lurking on the cypherpunks mailing list in the early 90s;
>> May's posts were often informative and entertaining, but not often
>> placid.  (I was pleased to turn up here, though I'm not sure why he's
>> taken up Python.)
>
>A while back, someone wrote in and asked what a text editor was.  The
>answers to this were polite and informative, and non-demeaning.  I'm
>curious why this one and why others get ripped on, and others don't.
>Luck of the draw?

Question like 'what's a text editor' shows that the inquieror (is that a
right word?) is a newbie, while a question like 'guys I'm writing a paper
on python, can you tell me where it comes from?' shows laziness. By the way,
I tried google search for 'what's a text editor' and out of top 10 hits, only
one explained the difference and was titled 'word processor vs. text editor',
in other web searches you'd probably be even less lucky, while search on
'history of python' came up with self-descriptive    [40]History of:
GreatSoftware - Python.

--

	Andrei