sniffing btw my web browser and a server

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Wed Dec 27 14:40:46 EST 2000

In article <92aush$rhc$1 at news.nuri.net>,
June Kim <junaftnoon at nospamplzyahoo.com> wrote:
>I'm doing some sort of web client programming, and have to observe the
>messages that my browser and web-servers transmit, being tired of guessing
>what the messages'd be and looking up the references and the specifications.
>
>Anyone has done it in Python or knows how it could be done?
>

>Best regards,
>
>June
>
>ps. using TCP/IP packet sniffers made for mere hacking seems too primitive
>or low-level in this case.

Take a look at "ethereal".  It is a (GTK?) graphical packet sniffer that
unpacks many protocols.  You can use it to snapshot an HTTP session and use
the "TCP Session" option to see exactly what is going on.

   http://www.ethereal.com

Slick.  Hours of fun on a busy network.

-- cary