Using Dictionary look-up

kacmaz at my-deja.com kacmaz at my-deja.com
Tue Dec 5 23:38:43 EST 2000

This is kind of a follow-up to an earlier question I posted. Thankyou
for all who answered it....

I have written a simple dictionary look up where necessary values are
received from a single-item dictionary (later on I will open this up to
a larger number of items..!) (I saw a similar one in Mr Guido's site I
think!).....

The dictionary would be {'UserXXXX':'123123'}

----Configuration.py (start)----
UserName=UserXXXX
UserNumb="123123"
----Configuration.py (ends)----

----Main.py (start)----
from configuration import *
class Authenticator:
    def __init__(self):
        self.authenticate=Dict_lookup(UserName=function(UserNumb))

    def lookup_key (self,*args):
        return apply(self.authenticate.lookup_key,args)

class Dict_lookup:
    def __init__(self,**kw):
        self.dict=kw

    def lookup_key (self,sn):
        return self.dict[sn]
----Main.py (ends)----

But python gives me error when I run it like this as :
           Exceptions.KeyError : UserName

but still if I change the above line with :
    def __init__(self):
        self.authenticate=Dict_lookup(UserXXXX=function(UserNumb))

then it works fine...!!!

The general structure of the dict_lookup suits what I want to do but
why can't I call up UserName in this fashion?

thanks

HK

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.