Label-Value (was: Re: Inheriting the @ sign from Ruby)

Mark Jackson mjackson at wc.eso.mc.xerox.com
Wed Dec 13 12:38:28 EST 2000

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:
> "Steve Williams" <sandj.williams at gte.net> wrote in message
> news:3A379CB4.405992F8 at gte.net...
> > Alex Martelli wrote:
> >
> > > [snip]
> >
> > > Maybe they took solidity _for granted_, because, in their
> > > (Renaissance) times and in their (Architecture) calling,
> > > compromises regarding solidity were simply unthinkable.
> > > Well, we're not so lucky, in the software field, today; the
> > > Firmitas of *by far* most software around is imperfect.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > I understand the Romans required an architect to stand under his arch as
> > the falsework was being removed.
>
> Neat idea (whether true or not -- that hardly matters!-), and
> gives good (albeit mythical) background for Vitruvius' order
> of priority.
>
> The modern equivalent, in most cases, would be to require the
> appropriate *managers* connected with a sw-development project
> 'stand under the arch' (or whatever we can come up with as a
> fitting metaphor!).

I'm sure I remember reading, sometime in 1999, that the top managers of
the Chinese national airline had been told to be onboard an in-air
flight at the Y2K transition.  I have no idea whether the tale was
true, however.

	I know nothing about this subject but I do have
	prejudices, which I am more than happy to share with you.
					- Leon Botstein