Smalltalk and Python

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Wed Dec 13 13:43:30 EST 2000

"Aaron Jon Reichow" <reichowa at tcfreenet.org> wrote in message
news:Pine.BSF.4.10.10012131113170.59599-100000 at tcfreenet.org...
> On 13 Dec 2000, Bjoern Giesler wrote:
>
> > : Would it perhaps not be better to use Ruby ?
> >
> > Not for me, for the following reasons:
> > a) I don't know Ruby well enough
> > b) Ruby is "even more" unknown in The Real World(tm) than Python
> > c) I think Ruby code looks ugly (what with @, #, $, no 'return' etc.)
> > d) I don't see any of the features Ruby has over Python as 'killer'
> >    features.
>
> Proper blocks rather than awkward lambda functions, for starters.

Disclaimer: my knowledge of Ruby is limited to a recent magazine article I
read.

I intensely dislike Ruby's block system because they are inconsistent with
other method arguments and a method cannot accept more than one block as
argument.  The syntax for actually creating a block is nice, but all in all
I prefer Python.

I also dislike forced single inheritance.  If mix-ins (as a replacement for
multiple inheritance) are so powerful, why include inheritance in the
language at all?

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com