python telnet script for openvms host

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Dec 26 14:17:48 EST 2000

In article <92apa7$oac$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
Ennis Rosamond  <ennisr at my-deja.com> wrote:
>In article <kuito7rrg7.fsf at lasipalatsi.fi>,
>  Erno Kuusela <erno-news at erno.iki.fi> wrote:
>> Ennis Rosamond <ennisr at my-deja.com> writes:
>>
>> | tn.read_until('[c')    #last char of session hearder
>> | tn.write('$ dir\r')
>>
>> | #following this, I receive back the sequence:
>> | #recv '\377\373\001'
>> | #IAC WILL 251
>> | #recv '\377\373\003'
>> | #IAC WILL 251
>> | #recv '\003\\\033Z'
>> | #
>> | #which I don't know how to interpret.
>>
>> that looks like telnet option negotiation, telnetlib should
>> take care of all that automaticalyl for you. i suspect
>> the above is just some debug output from telnetlib.
>>
>> are you sure you are seeing it after your last .write call,
>> and not at the start of the telnet connection?
			.
			.
			.
>You are correct.  The sequence I listed is the debug output.  I am
>seeing it after the "tn.write('$ dir\r')" call.  It may not be relevant
>if the host simply isn't ready to receive the write call.
>
>I tried using "tn.read_until('$ ')" in the previous read instead of
>"tn.read_until('[c')", but that sequence is never found.  That is why I
>think the host is not sending back a prompt.  But then I am pretty naive
>about this whole topic.
			.
			.
			.
1.  OpenVMS term negotiation is hairy--or at least
    I always forget the magic after about a year,
    and also where I put the answer the last time.
    Based on my experience, I'd guess it *very*
    likely that all your difficulties have to do
    with that initial negotiation.
2.  This kind of automation is a great idea.  You'll
    be plenty happy once you get it working.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net