launching a python program from GNU make (Win2K)

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Fri Dec 15 12:15:09 EST 2000

news:slrn93jn66.p9r.hat at se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl...
<jschmitt at vmlabs.com> wrote:
> >From my experience, GNU make has the most features that I want to use.
> >However, I find it so hard to use under Windows.  For example, I wrote
>
> No kidding :-)
>
> >a small python program that I can launch from the command line and
> >execute without problems.  I can't seem to launch it from GNU make.  I

I have a version of GNU make that I use once in a while on Win32 (all
varieties) that does just fine.  It's a bit older (3.74.4) but I've had no
problems with it.  I don't remember where I got it, but it wasn't part of
the cygwin toolkit but some separate collection of unix-like command line
tools.

I'll send that copy of gmake.exe to anybody that's interested.

> >something to do with GNU make going out of it's way to launch sh.exe if
> >it's on your hard drive, rather than launching command.exe to shell out
>
> Nope, it is simply not possible to launch a command-line program from
> another command-line program.

This is not true.  I do it every day.

--
Robin Dunn