int multiplication overflow and the future of python

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Mon Dec 4 16:22:16 EST 2000

Ram Bhamidipaty <ramb at synopsys.com> writes:
> there is a fix....but I have not been able to find it. Is there
> a patch that I should apply to upgrade my 1.6 source to the
> latest version?

This is because of the broken glibc that Red Hat shipped with 7.0; see
the brief Python 2.0 FAQ at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions .  The
fix is to get the updated glibc RPM from Red Hat's errata page and
install it.

> This leads to a larger question: Which version is being maintained?
> Is active developement taking place for both 1.6 and 2.0? I've been

2.0.  1.6 is basically the state of the Python CVS tree as of when the
developers left CNRI in May 2000, plus a minimal set of bug and
compatibility fixes.  2.0 is the CVS tree with some extra months of
development, so there are more bugfixes and more new features.
There's no real reason to stick with 1.6; I'm not aware of any
instabilities that 2.0 introduced.  (If anyone knows of such, *please*
report the problem!)

--amk