Some Python 2.1 ideas

Bjorn Pettersen pbjorn at uswest.net
Mon Dec 25 14:12:41 EST 2000

Roy Smith wrote:

> "Bob Alexander" <bobalex at home.com> wrote:
> > Finally, I'd be disappointed if the name "chomp" actually survived! I
> > just used it in my initial post as a placeholder until a better name
> > came along, since some folks would likely recall it from Perl.
>
> We've already got the string methods strip, lstrip, and rstrip.  Why not
> just add an optional second argument which is the class of characters to
> strip.  Then chomp just becomes string.rstrip (input_string, '\n').

Even better, add two arguments similar to string split (character class,
number of occurrences).

   "foo\n\n".rstrip('\n',1) -> "foo\n"

I think this is a good idea by itself and should be implemented for all of
strip, lstrip, and rstrip, however it doesn't solve the problem we want to
solve with chomp (removing a line terminator, whatever the line terminator
happens to be).

-- bjorn