Bug: Readline getting stuck on Linux and Solaris

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Thu Dec 7 02:08:43 EST 2000

In article <slrn92u8al.76b.quinn at lira.ugcs.caltech.edu>,
quinn at lira.ugcs.caltech.edu (Quinn Dunkan) writes:

| Strange.. readline has *never* worked right for me, on IRIX or
| Linux, on any version of python (1.4, 1.5.2, 2.0), and any version
| of readline (3.0, 4.0, 4.1), if python is compiled with threads.
| IRIX (6.4, 6.5, 6.5.2) hangs, Linux (2.0.36, 2.2.12, 2.2.17) exits.

most odd - approximately all linux distributions ship with python compiled
with readline, and i've never seen any problems in those or manual
builds.

  -- erno

ps. anyone know if there's anything new wrt the license story?  last i
heard the respective lawyers were still out on the subject. it would
be nice to be able to distribute readline-enabled binary python builds
legally...